Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
TCM has identified many collections and patterns of symptoms that are indicative of an imbalance in the reproductive system.
Here are some of them:
- PMS - symtoms experienced can be any combination of breast tenderness, mood swings, headaches, abdominal pain in the overy area, anxiety, dream disturbed sleep and severe depression. A person may also have a pulse that is fast and tight like a violin string. Often these symptoms occur right before the cycle or from ovulation to period. We have specific acupuncture points to treat these and herbal remedies that can be taken starting a few days prior to symptom onset.
- Dysmenorrhea or Painful Menstruation -Cramps, they are not normal. Typically the pain falls into one of two broad categories: excess pain condition or deficient pain condition. Pain from an excess conditon is sharp or stabbing, comes early in the cycle and feels worse with pressure. Pain from a deficient conditon is dull or milder, comes later in the cycle and feels better with pressure. Treatment for either the excess or deficient condition is based on the constitutional imbalance of the individual which gives rise to subtle variations in these symptoms.
- Fertility - Regulation of the menstrual cycle is key to success in getting pregnant. Absent any structural abnormalities or conditions such as endometriosis or PCOS we look at the cycle (early or late,) volume and color of blood and discharge, clots, cramping and general cold signs. Some of these symptoms may indicate a thyroid dysfunction. Chinese herbal medicine combined with regular acupuncture treatments are customized to the specific symptoms.
- Labor Induction - ready to deliver but no contractions? A two to four-day course of one-hour treatments of labor-inducing acupuncture is available at a discounted price - please call for details.
- Post Partum - fatigue & depression due to the trauma of labor and delivery are common. We have wonderful medicinal herbs for these syndromes that help to build blood and energy for fatigue and lift spirits out of depression!
- Menopause - Symptoms are usually hot flashes and insomnia but they can range from mild to severe. Again acupuncture and Chinese herbs are indicated to cool the blood and soothe the spirit!